Soluble support with PVA and BadPrinter2

We tested the PVA material (Polyvinyl alcohol) to create the support for PLA sample object with strong overhangs (an helical object) that normally is in impossible to print.
We want to prove the multimaterial capability of the BadPrinter2.
We used Cura as slicer with our script for double colour that, during the tool change, moves the hotend to a “parking” area and cooldown the unused one to reduce as much as possible the oozing during the next print phase.
The PVA is a very flexi material, so the retraction has to be used with attention; as you can see in the photo, there are a lot of “strings” of material generated during the material change, but the PVA is water soluble and they can be easily removed in the post-processing without impact on the quality of the PLA part.

wpid-20140823_194156.jpg

wpid-20140823_195127.jpg

In the following video you can see the post-processing operation of removing the PVA support by submerging it into cold water. We know that leaving the part in warm water for about 24 hours cause a complete dissolving of the PVA, but we want to show that also after about 30 minutes in cold water the material became slippery enough to remove easily the support at the interface between PVA and PLA.

wpid-20140823_203800.jpg

What’s new in the second batch of BadPrinter2

We completed the first six BadPrinter2 of the second batch.
All the machines are completely designed, assembled and tested by us, so our production rate is quite small; this is the reason why we are proud when we see those machines standing in line, ready for shipment. Half of them are headed to Germany; we are happy to start spreading also some BadPrinter2 across Europe.

wpid-20141203_235622.jpg

wpid-20141203_235607.jpg

Two big improvements were included in this new batch; a completely redesigned heated bed and the new E3D v6 hotends.
There are some other minor changes included in the design to improve the reliability and usability of our printer.

Heated Bed: The “old” Alu sheet had done its work, but it was, sometime, tricky to adjust; also the tempered glass was not completely planar due to the heat treatment.
We switch to an 8 mm milled aluminum plate with side thrust pin on both sides in order to retain firmly the glass, but allowing a quick removal of it.
The square glass is replaced by a not tempered one (more planar) with 5 mm thickness with the option to have also a more stylish smoky glass.

wpid-20141203_225008_1.jpg

wpid-20141202_230155.jpg

wpid-20141202_230239.jpg

wpid-20141203_225023.jpg

v6 hotends: in the same way, the v5 hotends are very good quality extruders, but the new one are more compact, clean (no messy kapton on the hot part to retain the thermistor in place) and with the bowden tube that goes all through the cold part there is an improvement when printing elastic and soft filament.
For the same reason, also the filament feeder bowden coupling was replaced by the bigger plastic one that allows the bowden tube to goes closer to the feeder gear.

wpid-20141205_211913.jpg

wpid-20141205_213256.jpg